For security, usability, and efficiency reasons, multiple data sources are tagged as deprecated in Remote Desktop Manager. Read more about it in Deprecated Data Sources.
Here are the steps to follow when copying data from one data source to another. The migration is an export of your original data source followed by an import in the new destination data source.
If you are using a self-managed RDBMS (SQL Server, MySQL, MariaDB), you can use their management tools to move the database to another server. Please follow their respective documentation on how to successfully transfer not only that data, but also the user accounts.
SQL Server: MSDN Article on how to move databases
MySQL: MySQL Copying databases
Export a data source
- Select the data source you wish to export.
If you have multiple vaults, you will need to export each vault separately or use the Export all vaults (.rdx) in the Administration tab.
- Select File – Export – Export vault (.rdm).
- For a typical migration, you would check the options Include credentials, Include attachments and documents, and Encrypt with master key.
- You can choose to remove all the folders present in your navigation tree.
- It is important to Include credentials at this step. If you choose not to, all your entries will be imported without any credentials.
- If you have documents and attachments saved in your data, we highly recommend you check the option to include them in the export.
- Choose to Encrypt with master key as an added security layer.
Ensure that you do not forget the Master Key as you will not be able to decrypt the data without it.
4. Save the file.
Import a data source
Validate that your new data source is created and selected in the Navigation pane.
Select File – Import – Import (.rdm).
Find your previously saved file on your computer, select it, then click Open.
In Import Entries, select if you wish to Import in root, Import in current folder, or Import in specific folder.
Option Description Import in root Import your entries in the root of your data source, meaning it will keep the exact same structure (group, folder, credentials) as the one you have exported. It is the suggested method of import. Import in current folder Import all your entries under the selected folder of the data source. Import in specific folder Import all your entries under the specific folder chosen of the data source.
In the next dialog, you will be presented with a list of all entries that are in the data file. Select which entry you wish to import or Select All to import all of your entries.
Press OK to complete the process.