Upgrading an instance of Devolutions Server
Please visit the Upgrading Devolutions Server page for informational steps of the upgrade procedure.
Devolutions Server upgrades are not overly complicated, but certain steps must be planned carefully.
Please contact us at email@example.com to book a session where we will help out.
Devolutions Server is used by teams, this means that other users must be taken into account before starting with the upgrade.
Confirm that all minimum requirements are installed and dependencies reach the supported versions according to the System Requirements page.
The following bullet list describe each steps a support technician will follow to assist a customer to upgrade the Devolutions Server instance.
- Ensure that the Domain functional level is at least at version Windows Server 2012 R2 if Domain Authentication is configured in Devolutions Server.
- Confirm for database and web application folder backups. Ensure that the Copy only backup option is enabled in SQL Server Management Studio to get a stand alone backup that is not part from a backup set.
- Make sure everyone is in offline mode in Remote Desktop Manager if properly configured or disconnected from the Devolutions Server web interface.
- Modify the Maximal version in the Administration - System Settings if configured.
- Confirm to stop the instance with the Go Offline button on the Devolutions Server Console If more than one Devolutions Server instance (High Availability or Load Balancing), switch all instances to Offline mode before the upgrade.
- For version older than 2020.1.x, check if a Passphrase Security Provider is set on the Devolutions Server instance. If so, follow the Remove Security Provider steps after the upgrade. This could be completed in another support session or the customer can do it by itself.
- Confirm for 2FA settings.
- Confirm for Integrated Security enabled or disabled in Database tab.
- If so, confirm that the connected user on the Windows machine has enough permissions to do database upgrades.
- Make sure that no antivirus is currently running or scanning the web application and Devolutions Server Console installation folders.
- Open the Devolutions Server Console and tell the user to upgrade it.
- Upgrade the Devolutions Server instance with the Update button on the Devolutions Server Console
- Install Prerequisites for Devolutions Server if required.
- Check if Devolutions Server is back Online in the Devolutions Server Console.
- Test web page login directly on the server or from the customer's computer with the Navigate to Website button on the Devolutions Server Console
- If required, install the latest Remote Desktop Manager version that belongs to the Devolutions Server version.
- Test connectivity from Remote Desktop Manager to the Devolutions Server data source.
- If required, update Devolutions Gateway.
- Make sure that the encryption keys will be exported and put in a safe place for security measure. These encryption keys are required for disaster recovery.
- Ensure that the Remote Desktop Manager and the Devolutions Server licenses match.